Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nicky's Individualized Education Plan

"When am I ever going to use math?"

The most important math question I received all year has been, "When am I ever going to use this stuff?" After spending a year answering this question over and over again, I thought it would be a great idea to have students explore this question on their own. After completing my digital story on Cheating in Math class with my students, I realized how much they loved and embraced technology. I decided as a part of the final exam, my algebra students would create a digital story using imovie and integrate it with math in the real-world. My goal was to have them see that while we don't use all the math we learn, much of the math that we learn is used everyday in our lives.

I was all little nervous presenting this project since I consider myself a novice at using imovie. It was a relief to discover that many of my students were already familiar with iMovie. I was actually impressed that some of my students showed me how to use different effects in iMovie.



Click here to view two students project on Mathematic Adventures. Lesson Plans. How-to use iMovie 101.


Reflections
I believe there was much value in this project. Technology is becoming more integrated in the classroom and also our students are becoming digital natives. It is our job to embrace technology and seek opportunities for our students to use technology in the classroom.

My favorite part of this project was students being able to answer the question, "Why do we need to know this stuff!" If I did this again I would definitely make the criteria about content about content more strict because it seemed that my students wasted time down loading music when they should be investing their time into content, that is, integrating their understanding of math into the video.




No comments: