Thursday, May 14, 2009

Being a Part of an Online Community

“Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives.”
-Rooney, Andy


This is an inspiring quote I got from the Teachnology website, where I became an active participant this past semester. This is an awesome website for teachers that provides great information and resources. Some examples include- teaching tips, rubrics, worksheets, lesson plans, teacher themes, inspiring stories and humor, and games. What I really liked was the open forum that allowed members to ask questions and provide feedback to other teachers.

One resource that I used often was the bingo cards. The website provides several pre-made bingo cards as well as blank cards. I used bingo to help my students study for the Standardized Based Assessment and the High School Qualifying Exam. The practice for these tests can be long and dry so I made bingo cards as a replacement for the tests. My students loved this idea and using them made studying more meaningful. They also enjoyed the change of pace from practice test to bingo. I also used some of the algebra games and rubrics that this website provided.

No comments: