Thursday, May 14, 2009

Digital Story Telling

Cheating in Math!!!

A few weeks ago I caught two of my students cheating on a math test. I felt that this was an opportune time for my students to realize that I am not a digital immigrant but that I am aware of the capabilities of cellphones. Not only do they allow students to have access to a calculator but they also allow them to text answers to other classmates. After meeting with these two students, their consequences included receiving zeros on their test, conversing with the principals about cheating at Houston High School, and recreating the scenario in a digital story.

I will carry this digital story with me for many years. This is a story I will share with my students at the beginning of each year about cheating in my class. The student handbook does mention the consequences of cheating at HHS but it is always great to show an actual example of poor choices being made.

Overall, the story was a hit. My students really embraced the idea of technology and being able to tell their story through videos. The two cheaters received a lot of street credit from their peers. The principals at Houston High where impressed with this idea and had me share it with other faculty members. More importantly they were impressed by what students know about technology. I facilitated the video but my students added some minor touches to spice.

Click here to see the story map. Cheating In Math video.

No comments: